Mexico City, Mexico - Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
The National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) was founded on September 21, 1551 with the name of the Royal and Pontifical University of Mexico. It is the largest and most important university in Mexico and Latin America. Its main purpose is to serve the country and humanity, train professionals useful to society, organize and conduct research, mainly about national conditions and problems, and extend as broadly as possible, the benefits of culture. There are over 350,000 students at UNAM.
Watch this video about studying at UNAM:
Summer Program at UNAM:
Join other UMass Boston students and students from around the world this summer for this 6-week intensive Spanish and culture program at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) in Mexico City, Mexico! The program features 9 levels of Spanish language, 108 hours of Spanish instruction and 18 hours of Spanish courses in history, art, or literature. Learn Spanish while exploring all the food, history, and culture la Ciudad de México has to offer.
Dates for 2019: June 28- August 14, 2019
- Must be in good disciplinary/ academic standing.
- Sophomore class status or above.
- 2.75 GPA or above
- No language requirements, but it is recommended at least one semester of Spanish to have been taken.
Students take one Spanish language course + a cultural course for up to 6 credits in Spanish language! 9 levels of Spanish language courses available. See UMass Boston equivalencies below:
Level 1: Spanish 101 (4 credits) + 4.5 elective credits in Spanish
Level 2: Spanish 102 (4 credits)+ 4.5 elective credits in Spanish
Level 3 and Level 4: Spanish 201 (3 credits) + 5.5 elective credits in Spanish.
Level 1: Spanish 202 (3 credits) + 5.5 elective credits in Spanish
Level 2: Spanish 202 (3 credits) + 5.5 elective credits in Spanish
Level 3: Spanish 202 (3 credits) + 5.5 elective credits in Spanish
Superior Mayor: Spanish 230 or Spanish 301 (3 credits) + 5.5 elective credits in Spanish
For more information on courses: http://www.cepe.unam.mx
will be posted by the end of January 2019. We are working on full program details. We expect the 6-week total cost to be between $2,000-$2,500. Cost will include:
- Tuition and fees
- Accommodation at a hotel located 10 minutes walking from campus
- Airport transfers to and from accomodation
- Excursions and city tours
- 24hr on site UMass Boston staff
- Pre-departure orientations and services
Not included in the program cost:
- ?Most meals: ~$250-300
- Flight round trip to Mexico City: $400-$600
- Personal Expenses: ~$400-500
Do you receive any financial aid, such as scholarships or grants to fund your education? Find out if your financial aid will apply towards studying abroad using the following Financial Aid Guide here
The Financial Aid Guide provides lots of information. However, prior to applying it is advised to contact Financial Aid services for financial aid inquiries and concerns. Link to Financial Aid services website: https://finaid.umb.edu/
Cultural program: Included in your program cost
- A guided tour of Mexico City's historical center
- A day trip to the Xochimiko neighborhood, home of the last remnants of the vast water transport system built by the Aztecs.
- Day Trip to the ancient city of Teotihuacan, dated to 300 BC and once home to over 100,000 people.
- A weekend trip (TBD)
Deadline to apply: March 15, 2019
- Complete the application through this site for the summer program at UNAM by March 15. You will need to make a deposit on the program fee to reserve your spot (TBD, estimating $500) by March 15th.
- Once you reserve your spot on the program, you need to complete the UMass Boston paperwork to transfer courses and the post-acceptance paperwork.
- Due dates for payments will be sent out at the end of January. The last payment date will be June 17th.
Semester and Year-long at UNAM Information Below:
University of Massachusetts Boston students only. Undergraduate and graduate students who have currently completed at least one year of full-time study with the most recent semester completed at UMass Boston are eligible. Students must be in good academic standing (at least 2.75 GPA) with no disciplinary problems.
For semester/year-long applicants, you must have a B2 level of Spanish.
The language of instruction at UNAM is Spanish. You must have a B2 level of Spanish to apply. For course information, go to: https://www.unaminternacional.unam.mx/es/ex/estudiante/extranjero/requisitos-especiales
Spanish Language courses are offered through UNAM's Centro de Enseñanza para Extranjeros (CEPE). There are additional fees for Spanish Language classes to all exchange students from partner universities; however, exchange students are entitled to a discount on the course (except for registration fee and books).
Students must study full time at the home and host institutions. With the completion of the Request for Prior Approval of Transfer Credit of Study Abroad Programs form, your credits (not grades) will transfer toward your degree at UMass Boston.
Housing is organized through CEPE: http://www.cepe.unam.mx/cursos_intensivos_espanol.php Go to services, and Accomodation options to register and view UNAM approved home stays and residences.
You are responsible for obtaining the correct visa before you travel. Please check the Mexican consulate website to determine if you will need a visa: https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/boston/index.php/consular-services/62-visas-ingles