The Hessen International Winter Universities (Hessen:IWU's) take place in different cities of Hessen every winter between December and January. Each IWU offers a different academic focus. Besides a three-week study program in English and/or German and German language courses at different levels (including beginners), the Hessen:IWUs offer weekend excursions and a diverse cultural program.
View and download a brochure here: Hessen Short-Term Study Programs 2017
Why Hessen Exchange?:
The Hessen-Massachusetts Academic Partnership was implemented in 2004. The objective of the state-to-state programs is to support student mobility as well as to implement and foster collaboration between researchers of institutions of higher education in Hessen and the partner state. The exchanges seek to create an environment of international knowledge, cultural competencies and linguistic skills for the future. The partnerships is supported by the Hessen State Ministry of Higher Education, Research, and the Arts, as well as by the University of Massachusetts System. Exchange opportunities include short-term, semester and academic year programs.The Hessen-Massachusetts exchange program provides enrolled students at one of the University of Massachusetts System universities with the opportunity to get international experience by studying abroad at one of the Hessen International Summer Universities (ISU), the Hessen International Winter Universities (IWU') or by enrolling in one of the participating Hessen universities, universities of applied sciences (Fachhochschulen) and art academies for one or two academic semesters.
This experience will not only give you the chance to live in Germany and learn the language, but also adds a European dimension to your academic career. An increasing number of English taught courses are available.
The State of Hessen is situated in the heart of the Federal Republic of Germany and is home to some of the country's leading universities and research institutes, all of which are within easy reach of Frankfurt am Main, Germany's financial and banking center. The UMass-Hessen Exchange represents a special alliance between the universities of the State of Hessen and those of the University of Massachusetts.
Learn more about the UMass-Hessen Exchange Program.
About Hochschule Darmstadt:
Hochschule Darmstadt (h_da) puts science into action. With a student body of ~15,000, it is one of the largest and most distinguished universities of applied sciences in Germany. Its excellent reputation is the result of a scientifically grounded, real-world approach to higher education and the professional success of its graduates. The 2006 “trendence” study, for example, ranked h_da graduates in the top five among German Universities of Applied Sciences. And a survey conducted by business magazine Wirtschaftswoche found h_da graduates to be a favorite pick of German companies.The Hessen government provides a partial scholarship, greatly reducing fees for UMass participants from those published on the Hessen university websites.
Watch a Hochschule Darmstadt Campus Video
- All US citizens and US green card holders are eligible for the scholarship rates.
- Other students should see their study abroad advisor to discuss availability and program pricing.
- Program Fees vary per UMass campus. Please inquire with your study abroad office about the costs paid to UMass for this program. Room and Board, and other expenses will be paid to the host institution, or by other arrangement as necessary.
, Learn More About Summer ISUs in Hessen
. and Learn More About Darmstadt
Why the International Winter University?:
The Winter University at Hochschule Darmstadt is a short term program taught in English (students select one module)
- Engineering Module: Mechanical Engineering in Modern Power Plants
- Business Module: International Marketing and Sales
The program includes:
- Seminars, project work and lectures taught in English,
- Hands-on experiences in labs and during field trips,
- Company visits, sightseeing, and lots-of-fun-activities,
- An international and intercultural classroom,
- Field trips to destinations in southern Germany,
- Instruction by professors and practitioners, engineers and experts in the field,
- German language classes for beginners and advanced learners
1. Complete the internal UMass application process here online.
2. Complete the Hessen application itself
and hand that in to your study abroad advisor.
Why Study in Germany?:
Hessen is a German state in the heart of Europe. In addition to excellent study and research opportunities at some of Germany's leading universities, Hessen has a diverse and picturesque countryside, is full of culture and history and at the same time vibrant and modern. Half-timbered houses, medieval churches and castles of your childhood fairy tales contrast modern cosmopolitan cities like Frankfurt, Hessen's major international financial hub. Whether looking for a metropolitan or small-town university, you'll feel at home in Hessen. Darmstadt is located in the Southern part of the state of Hessen in Germany, about 30 minutes south of the city of Frankfurt.It is a thriving industrial center which is also renowned as a center of culture with many museums, galleries and expositions and an old theatrical tradition.
- Many old buildings, parks and gardens serve as evidence of the various epochs of the history of the city and region.
- The city's population is just slightly larger than that of Lowell, and the population of nearby Frankfurt is over 1 million.
- Over 12% of students in Hessen are international, coming from all over the world to take advantage of high-quality academics and a great quality of life.
- Student accommodation is available in student residences run by the Studentenwerk and is included in the IWU Program Fee
- Depending on the program, the IWU's provide accommodation in university dormitories, private apartments or with host families.
Hochschule Darmstadt is a university that emphasizes practical knowledge. The degree programs are geared towards direct career entry. All of our professors have worked in the industry at least 5 years before they were called to h_da. This means you will receive expert practical and technical knowledge first hand.
- As one of the largest universities of applied sciences in the whole country, we offer 11 departments with a total of 52 programmes of study at the bachelor‘s as well as the master‘s level.
- Not only do our professors have an industrial background, they also maintain close bonds with partners from economy and industry. Hence, the state of knowledge taught is up to date and there are interesting internship places in companies.
- Hochschule Darmstadt is proud of its international student body of 20 percent. As a consequence you will not only get to know Germany and its population but also students from all over the world! You will discover new perspectives and other cultures and establish contacts for your future.
- During the semester(s) at h_da you have the opportunity to work on projects. Thus, you can put your theoretical knowledge to use in a practical context. Usually a small group of students is supervised by a full time professor. The project group is working on a task that has been proposed by a company and your results might even get implemented in real life.