Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Nijmegen, Netherlands
  • Program Terms: Fall, Spring
  • Restrictions: UMASS BDL applicants only
  • Budget Sheets: Fall, Spring
Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Spring 2023 10/15/2022 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Fact Sheet:
Fact Sheet:
Who can apply: UMass Boston Students Program Category: Internship abroad, Study abroad
Language of Instruction: English Class Status: 2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior, 5-grad student
Housing Options: Apartment (shared), Dormitory, Other Areas of Study: Art History, Business, Culture, English, French Studies, German Studies, History, Law, Linguistics, Management, Philosophy, Sciences, Spanish Studies
Minimum GPA: 2.75 Program Type: Exchange
Program Description:

UMass Boston   Nijmegen, Netherlands - Radboud University


Radboud University is a student oriented research university located in the city of Nijmegen, Netherlands that was founded in 1923. The university is an international institution with students and staff from all over the world, where international students and Dutch students can work together. The university has a population of 19,000 students, including 1,700 international students. Nijmegen is located near the German border, and is the oldest city in the Netherlands. In 2005, Nijmegen celebrated its 2,000th anniversary. The city has numerous cafes, parks, concert venues, museums, historical sites, and theaters, as well as space to participate in outdoor activities.

To apply for the Exchange Program:
  1. Confirm that this program works for you both academically and financially. Check the courses offered and speak with your academic advisor on which courses you should try to take while abroad that will count towards your degree. If you are receiving financial aid or want to apply for financial aid for the study abroad program, contact so you know what you can expect in aid for the program. 
  2. Once you are sure this is the program for you, apply on this website for the program (click apply at the bottom). 
  3. Once completed, contact the Office of Global Programs to have your nomination submitted to Radboud. From there you will also need to submit the exchange application through Radboud University directly:
For all of the steps and information on applying to study abroad through UMass Boston, download the checklist: Study Abroad Steps to Stay on Track 2020.pdf

Radboud University offers many courses in English that are open to exchange students in various subjects, including Art History, Business Communication, English Language and Culture, History, and North American Studies. Exchange students can also take language courses in Dutch, Spanish, French, and German. Please note that some subjects only offer undergraduate courses during one semester, and offer graduate courses during the next semester. 

Alternatively, exchange students can choose one of the Radboud Minors. Rather than choosing several individual courses, students in a Radboud Minor will take 3-5 pre-selected courses that are centered around a certain topic, such as European Business Law, Gender and Culture, and International Economics. Students can choose a Radboud Minor in the following faculties: Law, Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, Management, Science, Arts, and Philosophy and Religion. There are also Interdisciplinary Studies Minors available, which include courses from several different faculties.

Students must study full time at the home and host Institutions. With the completion of the Request for Prior Approval of Transfer Credit of Study Abroad Programs form, your credits (not grades) will transfer towards your degree at UMass Boston. This form can be obtained from the Study Abroad office.

Fall semester (First semester): Mid August – Late January
Spring semester (Second semester): Late January – Early July

Undergraduate and graduate students who have currently completed at least one year of full-time study with the most recent semester completed at UMass Boston are eligible. Students must be in good academic standing (at least 2.75 GPA) with no disciplinary problems. Students will be nominated to the university by the UMass Boston study abroad office, and will then have to complete a Radboud University online application.

See budget sheet. Please note, the Office of Global Programs use estimated price values for our UMass Boston Reciprocal Exchange’ budget sheets. Actual prices may vary, please contact your program provider for more details. 

Do you receive any financial aid, such as scholarships or grants to fund your education? Find out if your financial aid will apply towards studying abroad using the following Financial Aid Guide here

The Financial Aid Guide provides lots of information. However, prior to applying it is advised to contact Financial Aid services for financial aid inquiries and concerns. Link to Financial Aid services website:

The Housing department of the Radboud University International Office can assist students in finding accommodation for your time in Nijmegen, but does not guarantee to find housing, as rooms are limited. There are three student complexes available: Talia, Vossenveld, Hoogeveldt. Each complex is 20 minutes or less to campus by train or bicycle. Students will have a private room and share a bathroom and kitchen. There are also rooms in private houses available to rent in the city.


You are responsible for obtaining the correct visa before you travel. 

To study in the Netherlands for more than 90 days if you are a resident of a non-EU country, you will have to obtain a residence permit. Typically, the university will apply for a residence permit on the student's behalf after acceptance. For more information, visit the Radboud University website or Study in Holland.
You do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands.

To study in the Netherlands for more than 90 days if you are a resident of a non-EU country, you will have to obtain a residence permit. Typically, the university will apply for a residence permit on the student's behalf after acceptance. For more information, visit the Utrecht website.

Be sure to check out the following Visa Process link provided by NAFSA for more information:

Finalize your enrollment

Once you have been admitted to your study programme, you will need to finalize your enrollment in our online system. These procedures will start approximately four months before the start of the semester. In this system, you will be asked for all the necessary details for your registration, residency and visa procedures, emergency contact details and proof of health insurance.

Your residence permit has to be approved before the start of your programme (1 February or 1 September).

Immigration procedure

Radboud will process the application for a residence permit for the purposes of study on your behalf. It is therefore not necessary to contact the Immigration and Naturalization Department (IND) yourself unless you intend to request a residence permit for purposes other than study (e.g. family reunification). Please note that:

Please check to see the fee for the residency permit. This fee is not refundable.
The procedure can take several months

Necessary Documents:
  • A valid passport
  • Proof of health and liability insurance
  • Proof of finance
  • Antecedents Certificate (on your online account with Utrecht)

Funds to finance your stay in the Netherlands – this amount does not include you tuition fee
Funds to finance your tuition fee – not applicable to exchange students

Your documents will first be checked online after you have successfully submitted your file for immigration. To complete the actual residence permit application for the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND), you will need to send in the above documents.

All documents must be in Dutch, English, French or German. If your documents are in another language, you must arrange for the documents to be translated by an official translator.


Student residence permits will be issued for the duration of the nominal study programme plus three months. The nominal duration of study programme is three years for a Bachelor’s programme and one or two years for a Master’s programme. 

Start Appointment

After you have finished the enrollment procedure, you will receive an invitation for a Start Appointment upon your arrival.

Download: Netherlands Country Information and Visas.pdf


Pre-decision Phase Instructions: 
This is a UMass Boston Reciprocal Exchange Program. There are two separate applications. First, students apply to the program by completing this online UMass Boston application. If eligible to study abroad, the UMass Boston Study Abroad Office nominates the student to the university abroad. The student is then informed with a letter or an email about next steps to complete the university's abroad application (online or hard copy forms). Please click here for application instructions. 
Post-decision Phase Instructions: 
The final decision to accept a student is made by the university abroad and the student will be emailed. Once accepted by the university abroad, UMass Boston students must complete all the requirements indicated by the university abroad, in addition to completing all forms and submitting all the post-acceptance documents to UMass Boston Study Abroad Office. Please click here for instructions and forms.