Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Sapporo, Japan
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Spring, Summer, Year
  • Restrictions: UMASS BDL applicants only
  • Budget Sheets: Fall, Spring
Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Spring 2023 10/15/2022 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Fact Sheet:
Fact Sheet:
Who can apply: UMass Boston Students Program Category: Study abroad
Language of Instruction: English, Japanese Class Status: 2-sophomore, 3-junior, 4-senior, 6-other
Housing Options: Apartment (shared), Dormitory Areas of Study: Art History, Asian Studies, Biochemistry, Biology, Communications, Engineering, Environmental/Sustainability Studies, History, Japanese Studies, Management, Math/Statistics, Political Science/International Relations, Sociology/Anthropology
Minimum GPA: 3 Program Type: Exchange
Program Description:

UMass Boston  Sapporo, Japan - Hokkaido University


Hokkaido University (HU) is one of the most prestigious universities in Japan, located in Sapporo in the northern island of Hokkaido. Founded in March 1876, Hokkaido University, or Hokudai, is one of the top national universities of Japan. Hokkaido University has educational philosophies consisting of “Frontier Spirits” “Global Perspectives” “All-round Education,” and “Practical Learning.” 

To apply for the Exchange Program:
  1. Confirm that this program works for you both academically and financially. Check the courses offered and speak with your academic advisor on which courses you should try to take while abroad that will count towards your degree. If you are receiving financial aid or want to apply for financial aid for the study abroad program, contact so you know what you can expect in aid for the program. 
  2. Once you are sure this is the program for you, apply on this website for the program (click apply at the bottom). 
  3. Once completed, contact the Office of Global Programs to have your nomination submitted to Hokkaido. From there you will also need to submit the exchange application through Hokkaido directly:
For all of the steps and information on applying to study abroad through UMass Boston, download the checklist: Study Abroad Steps to Stay on Track 2020.pdf

The University offers undergraduate courses in Schools of Economics, Business, Education, Medicine, Law, Letters (the equivalent of Humanities), Engineering, Science and Health Sciences. There are a variety of courses offered in English in the fields of Culture and Society, Environment, Science and Technology. Japanese language proficiency is not required to apply, however, one may take a general Japanese language course if desired. International students usually apply to the Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program in English (HUSTEP).  Over 50 courses are offered in various disciplines in English and updated each semester. Japanese language or studies majors may apply to the Japanese Language and Cultural Studies Program (JLCSP). Students interested in participating in JLCSP may take English courses along with this program. 

Students must study full time at the home and host Institutions. With the completion of the Request for Prior Approval of Transfer Credit of Study Abroad Programs form, your credits (not grades) will transfer towards your degree at UMass Boston. This form can be obtained from the Study Abroad office.

Fall semester (1st semester): October - February
Spring semester (2nd semester): April - August
University of Massachusetts Boston students only. Undergraduate and graduate students who have currently completed at least two years of full-time study with the most recent semester completed at UMass Boston are eligible. Students must be in good academic standing (at least 3.0 GPA) with no disciplinary problems. To qualify for the HUSTEP program, students must be proficient in English. Non-native English speakers must have a score of at least TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5. 

Nominated students should obtain the necessary forms from the UMass Boston Office of Global Programs, complete and submit them to the same office.
1) Completed HUSTEP application form
2) Completed Certificate of Enrollment Form
3) A recommendation letter from an academic supervisor
4) An official transcript of academic record
5) Certificate of health
6) 3 photographs
7) TOEFL or IELTS score record (non-native English speakers only)
8) Photocopy of your passport

There is a screening process by HU and NOT all students who apply/are nominated will be accepted. Japanese language ability is not required to participate in the Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program in English (HUSTEP). Applicants for  Exchange Programs in Japanese (JLCSP) program should have N3 (or higher) of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test or the equivalent or higher proficiency in the language at the time of application. Any students who are found to have inadequate language skills after arrival will not be able to complete the course.

The student dormitories are located on or near the university campus in the center of Sapporo. Furnished rooms in the university accommodations are provided for HUSTEP students. For further details, please visit the website below. 

See budget sheet. Please note, the Office of Global Programs use estimated price values for our UMass Boston Reciprocal Exchange’ budget sheets. Actual prices may vary, please contact your program provider for more details. 

Do you receive any financial aid, such as scholarships or grants to fund your education? Find out if your financial aid will apply towards studying abroad using the following Financial Aid Guide here

The Financial Aid Guide provides lots of information. However, prior to applying it is advised to contact Financial Aid services for financial aid inquiries and concerns. Link to Financial Aid services website:

Several competitive scholarships with varied amounts are available for students wishing to study at Hokkaido University from Japanese government.
Information on the Bridging and Morgan Stanley scholarships to study in Japan and downloadable application forms are available at AATJ's Web site.

The student dormitories are located on or near the university campus in the center of Sapporo. Furnished rooms in the university accommodations are provided for HUSTEP students. For further details, please visit the website below. 


You are responsible for obtaining the correct visa before you travel. ?

Students are required to obtain a visa prior to arrival in Japan. For more information on student visas, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website. To apply for a student visa, visit the Consulate General of Japan in Boston website. Some visas can take several weeks to obtain. Make sure you understand the requirements for your specific visa.

Download: Japan Country Information and Visas.pdf 


Pre-decision Phase Instructions: 
This is a UMass Boston Reciprocal Exchange Program. There are two separate applications. First, students apply to the program by completing this online UMass Boston application. If eligible to study abroad, the UMass Boston Study Abroad Office nominates the student to the university abroad. The student is then informed with a letter or an email about next steps to complete the university's abroad application (online or hard copy forms). Please click here for application instructions. 
Post-decision Phase Instructions: 
The final decision to accept a student is made by the university abroad and the student will be emailed. Once accepted by the university abroad, UMass Boston students must complete all the requirements indicated by the university abroad, in addition to completing all forms and submitting all the post-acceptance documents to UMass Boston Study Abroad Office. Please click here for instructions and forms.