Special Topics in Honors: Cuban Cultural Immersion
3-6 credit option (HONR.3200)
Spend nearly 2 weeks in Havana, Cuba with UMass Lowell Honors College and on-site education abroad partner program, Academic Programs International (API). Through site visits, guest lecturers, museums, activities and guided learning, students will explore the history and culture of current-day Cuba.
Students will be housed in residencias through the API program. Residencias are similar to a bed-and-breakfast with 24-hour security and single-gender. Typically, all program students are housed in one residencia or two (male/female) adjacent. UMass Lowell faculty member is housed in walking distance.
Safety & Security:
Students will receive a pre-departure as well as on-site orientation upon arrival. API staff will be with the UMass Lowell group each day and private group bus transportation is arranged for each site visit not reachable on foot. API has 24-7 emergency assistance. UMass Lowell will automatically enroll each student in the UMass International Insurance plan
, offering services abroad & return.
Example Itinerary items:
- Required - HONR.3200 Cuban Cultural Immersion
- Optional - You have the opportunity of knocking out two Honors requirements during one winter session! Through this program you have the option to enroll in a second Honors course, thereby granting you 6 credits. The course, also HONR.3200, titled "Cuba: Perception sand Realities" will count for an H3, H4, or H6. The class compliments the required HONR.3200 "Cuban Immersion" and aims to give you the cultural, socio-political and historical context to make the most of your time in Cuba, thereby giving you as rich of an experience as possible. Students are encouraged to consider selecting this additional course option. Please note however that it is not required, and it does carry an additional tuition expense.
- Museum of Revolution
- Cuban dance class
- Walking tour of Old Havana
- Ernest Hemingway's home and museum
- Local baseball game
- Tobacco farm
- and many more + guest lecturers + some free time to explore