Special Topics in Honors: Spanish & Basque Cultural Immersion in San Sebastian, Spain
Note: Summer 2021 details are not yet finalized, however will remain similar to 2019.
San Sebastian resides on the southern coast of the Bay of Biscay, located in the north of the Basque country, 12 miles from French border, at the mouth of the River Urumea. Known as Spain's most popular tourist location.
Tops lists of the world's best places to eat and wonderful summer fun and sun.
3 UMass Lowell Honors Credits
- Date Options: There will be 3 sessions to choose from. Starting in early June - early August, 3 weeks each. Start/end dates per session TBD
- Academic requirement:
- Course Number: HONR.3200
- Course Title: Special Topics in Honors: Basque Cultural Immersion
- Credits: 3, UMass Lowell credits
- Gen Ed: This course fulfills a Humanities requirement for the university General Education curriculum.
- World Ready: This course fulfills one cultural course for students who have selected the World Ready track in Spanish
- This course fulfills an Honors "H" as well as can fulfill an Honors Impactful Experience
- This course fulfills a requirement towards the River Hawk Experience Distinction: Global Engagement
- Professors: Julian Zabalbeascoa, Honors College
- Note: Students will also take intensive spanish language while on-site through UMass Lowell partner, Lacunza International House, as a required component of this program and course. A language level exam will be provided to students upon arrive to place into the proper instruction level. (Students may be able to earn transfer credit for this instruction at an additional cost. Please see the Study Abroad Office for more information. Students must declare this prior to the start of the program.)
This course uses the city of San Sebastian, Spain, as its primary text. Chosen as the 2016 European Capital of Culture, San Sebastian offers students the best of both worlds: a modern European city with an Old Quarter that preserves its rich legacy of history and culture. “Special Topics in Honors: Basque Cultural Immersion” will take learning outside the classroom, exposing students to structured situations and experiences through a Humanities lens. T.S. Eliot wrote, “[T]he end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” This course’s aim then is to enlarge and enrich the students’ three weeks in San Sebastian. This will be accomplished through multiple approaches: field trips and excursions, on-site lectures, an examination of Spanish history, politics, culture, geography, cuisine, literature, cinema, sport, and art; writing assignments that encourage a comparative analysis between Spain’s history and America’s today; and lessons dedicated to learning the craft and art of Immersion Writing.
By the end of this course students will have been introduced to many of the unique aspects of life in San Sebastian and have a richer appreciation of the city through a diverse series of outings, whose additional purpose and corresponding assignments will have helped develop the tools necessary to become better writers, communicators, and critical thinkers, essential traits of a successful Honors student.
As students experiencing a new culture, new people, new foods, and, hopefully, a new perspective, you will be expected to express your unique take on this rewarding experience through writing—in particular, Immersion Writing. Sometimes called Immersion Journalism, this is a subjective form of writing in which the individual immerses him/herself in a particular situation, setting, and people. Unlike memoir, this type of writing focuses less on the individual and the individual's life and more on the experience. However, unlike more objective forms of narrative, Immersion Writing offers a uniquely personal view for both the writer and the reader.
- Costs: TBD
- What’s Included:
- In-country transportation to itinerary items & airport
- Breakfast & dinner provided daily, as well as group welcome and farewell dinners
- Housing throughout the program
- All group excursions and entrance fees per itinerary
- Pre-trip orientation an on-site orientation
- 24 hour emergency access to support staff and offices
- Emergency Health insurance
- Tuition Cost: $1050
- Out-of-pocket Costs: RT air & personal spending